The list is in! For the fifth year running the posters on the Something Awful Forums have compiled a list of their favorite video game characters. Big differences from last year's list, with lots of new characters cracking the top 20 you never would have expected. The argument "Are video games art?" started by last year's list continues this year with several references to more abstract or metaphorical concepts. Please keep in mind, these votes may not represent the views of the SA staff.
50. Spider (Catacomb Delver - 360)
49. Wall Laser (Burstion - Super Nintendo)
48. Pink Jellyfish - Spiked (Diver Dave 64 - Nintendo 64)
47. Skeleton Man (Hauntin': Implausible Risk - Playstation)
46. Skeleton Wizard (Hauntin': Implausible Risk - Playstation)
45. Pit (Pit - Atari 5700)
Pit plunged precipitously from #22 last year to a lowly #45 this year. We can only hope this classic character has hit bottom.44. Crushing Ceiling Object (Pumpy Pod: Remix XL - PS2)
43. Skeleton Champion (Hauntin' 2: Improbable Odds - PS2)
42. Trooper (War Field 3: Last Battle Order - PC)
41. Collapsing Bridge (Angelo Vincenzo's Danger Driving - PS3)
40. Bad Bird (Jah, Eggmon - NES)
39. Shots - Off Screen Source (Heat Beheam - Genesis)
38. Natalee (Die, Natalee, Die! - Jaguar)
37. Heavy Trooper (Pit - Atari 5700)
36. Synecdoche - Missile and Torpedo (Missile Mission - 3DO)
35. AI Computer Voice (Lewellyn's Big Game Slayer - PC)
34. Female Vampire (Diver Dave 64 - Nintendo 64)
33. Pink Jellyfish - Electric (Diver Dave 5: Hellthorn - Xbox)
32. Math (Learn Your Baby to Math - 3DO)
31. Jason - Ant Form (Mr. President You Can't Touch That - PC)
30. Crystal Dinosaur (Bible Dinosaur DNA: The DNA is Bibles - PS2)
29. Potion Merchant (Scowl Innit's Footie Champtain - PC)
28. Sleeping Guard (Devil: From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - PC)
27. Grizzelda the Gem Merchant (Ccclomp! - 360)
26. The Selflessness of America's Teachers (Murderchode 6: Grinding Gutwobbler - PS3)
U2 and Apple have conspired to place a U2 album into your music in the year 2014. You own a U2 album. And you can't get rid of it.
It is estimated that over ten comic book panels are created every month by the comic book industry. Some of them are bound to be peculiar. This series will never die.
The Something Awful front page news tackles anything both off and on the Internet. Mostly "on" though, as we're all incredible nerds.