A Blind Moment of Truth's Justice: The Cynthia Strauss Story
A Blind Moment of Truth's Justice: The Cynthia Strauss Story (1989) (TV)
Directed by: Carol Blazingstar Holly
Writing credits: Sarah Baker (written by)
Marigold Penelope (co-written by)
Lucy Patton (screenplay)
Genre: Drama / Tragedy / Domestic Abuse / Husbands Falling Off of Scaffoldings (more)
Tagline: A woman's justice... a woman's triumph... a woman's fight to live. A Lifetime Movie Network original film.
Plot Summary: Based off events that were reportedly overheard during the recreation of a true story, Cynthia Strauss marries a seemingly kind, caring, wealthy architect. But soon she learns that looks can be deceiving, as her husband starts beating her with all kinds of... (more) (view trailer)
User Comments: judith light is INCREDIBLE in her perforamance!!! i was on the edge of my seat when she was dirinvg the abulance away from her husband chasing her in the helicopter. women have been the subject of abuce for to long and its awesome to see her fgight back! one time my EX husband made me eat a plate og chili peppars and the police never (more)
User Rating: 3.1 / 10 (18 votes)
Cast overview, first billed only:
Judith Light ... Cynthia Strauss
Tony Danza ... Adolf F. Blackheart III
Sarah Jessica Parker ... Denise Griggsby
Howie Long ... Police Chief Dougan
Also Known As:
Justice Through Blind Truth: The Cynthia Strauss Story (USA) (working title)
The Truth of Blind Justice: The Cynthia Strauss Story (Can)
Blind Truth and Justice Moments: The Cynthia Strauss Story (Aus)
das Weibchen (Ger)
Runtime: 85 mins
Language: Advanced Female
Color: Nearly all of them
Sound Mix: "Swarthy" Sandy's Super Sound 3.1
Certification: Australia: G / Iceland:10 / Canada:8 / Germany:1 / Spain:ZYX+ / UK: JOLLY / USA: PG / Norway:180
- Continuity: In the scene where Cynthia first meets soon-to-be husband Adolf F. Blackheart III in the hospital, he initially has a handlebar mustache. In the following shot, his mustache is gone, but he has a goatee. In the subsequent shot, both the mustache and goatee are missing, and Adolf has changed both gender and race (but he still has the broken liquor bottle in his left hand).
- Continuity: The number of seats inside Adolf's van constantly changes throughout the film, although only off-camera, and never seen.
- Crew or equipment visible: When Adolf breaks the 17th liquor bottle over Cynthia's head, you can clearly see her reflection in the mirror.
- Incorrectly regarded as goofs: Adolf murders his mother-in-law by "increasing the physics of gravity in her house to a degree that will cause her lungs to explode." This may very well be possible in an alternate dimension, or perhaps if Adolf is Jesus Christ in disguise.
- Judith Light engaged in over 300 hours of being professionally beaten for her role of Cynthia Strauss. At one point during production, she volunteered to have a third eye surgically grafted into her skull in order to "perfect the art of obtaining black eyes."
- Director trademark: Women getting beaten up both on and off camera.
- "A Blind Moment of Truth's Justice: The Cynthia Strauss Story" won over sixteen different awards during the Lifetime Movie Network's annual "Women Heroes Awards" ceremony, including "Most Heroic Woman," "Best Abused Woman," "Greatest Role Model to Young Women," and the coveted "Most Realistic Collection of Injuries Caused By a Man" award.
- Director trademark: Broken bottles symbolizing broken trust / promises or maybe also rape.
- Director trademark: Male antagonist constantly being unable to find their wallet.
AMDB Memorable Quotes:
Cynthia: I can't wait to get married. To you.
Adolf: Yes... marriage... it can't be beat... or CAN it? (Twirls mustache as ominous music begins to play)
Cynthia: Mom, I told you! Adolf is a trustworthy, honorable man! He graduated at the top of his class at Harvard!
Carol-Anne: And how exactly do you know this for sure? How can you trust anything that man says?
Cynthia: He has a diploma on his wall!
Carol-Anne: It is written in Magic Marker!
Cynthia: He graduated in liberal arts!
Adolf: My wife... she... "fell"... down the "stairs."
Police Chief Dougan: Good enough for me. Let's roll, boys, no need for another boring investigation!
Denise: I don't know, Cynthia. Your husband seems a little odd sometimes.
Cynthia: Denise! I told you! He's Canadian!
Denise: Cynthia, you need to wake up! This man's bad news! I can just feel it in my bones! As a woman, you need to get some justice in this world!
Cynthia: Denise, you're overreacting. Adolf is a kind, wonderful man. I don't need any justice in this world.
Police Chief Dougan: I'm sorry ma'am, but there's nothing we can do, the situation is completely out of our hands.
Cynthia: (Bleeding from multiple stab and gunshot wounds) There's nothing you can do? I have video tape of my husband doing this to me! There are over 35 different witnesses, including a Federal judge and the Vice President of the United States of America!
Police Chief Dougan: Ma'am, please leave the policing to us police, and the laundry to you. (Fellow cops laugh)
Cynthia: Can't a woman get any justice in this world?
Police Chief Dougan: If you keep talking fancy sass-talk like that, I'll throw you in prison for 10 years.
Denise: (Leaving voice message on answering machine) Cynthia... I found out some "secrets" about your husband. You know how he told you he was an architect and also a lawyer? He's not. He's been unemployed for 26 years, and has married over 12 women in that time. All of them were found murdered in Pinnacle's Canyon. I've got irrefutable proof of this, please meet me at midnight in the middle of the abandoned concrete plant so I can-
Adolf: (Hangs up phone) Conversation's over!
Denise: It's you!
Adolf: It's me! And me is gonna murder the hell out of you!
Cynthia: I can't believe it. My best friend Denise... she's dead! How could this happen?
Adolf: It's not the first freakish blender accident and it won't be the last.
Cynthia: But the coroner's report said she was cut to death with razors.
Adolf: Blender razors.
Cynthia: Please, you've got to help me escape from my husband! I'm afraid he's going to murder me!
District Attorney Susan Hall: I believe you. I'm here for you. I'll do everything in my power to stop this crazed lunatic. As women, we have to stick together and fight against a corrupt-
State Attorney Ed Barkley: Shut up bitch! (Pushes her out 23-story window)
Adolf: (Bleeding to death at the bottom of Pinnacle's Canyon) Cynthia... I'm dying.
Cynthia: Adolf, I didn't want it to come to this.
Adolf: I know, I know. I just want you to know... I want you to know...
Adolf: You're a worthless bitch. (Dies)
Cynthia: Can't a woman get any justice in this world?