Jennifer's Body; The Informant!; Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
An Awful Week in Movies
- Love Happens? More like Shit Happens! Really, they were begging for that one, and it's an apt title to boot. Avoid this one like the goddamned plague.
- Ghost of Girlfriends Past shares screenwriters with The Hangover, which is puzzling: Either Jon Lucas and Scott Moore were slumming it for ramen money or The Hangover is 99% improvisation. Regardless, this is just a standard-issue Matthew McConaughey romantic comedy.
- Observe and Report is like Taxi Driver filtered through a Judd Apatow comedy. If the formula doesn't sound entirely successful, neither is the movie, but it's worth a rental if you like crass jokes about date rape and graphic violence. And if you're reading Something Awful, that's probably true.
- Terra apes Rod Serling's favorite narrative trick -- humans as the destructive force rather than the aliens we've come to fear -- and turns it into a second-rate animated adventure. Yes, a provocative metaphor for all things Cold War is now the premise for a sub-Disney family-friendly CGI-fest. And so it goes.
- Bad puns aside, Lymelife is supposed to be a genuinely good movie, even if it's another in a long line of dark comedies about suburbia. Hey indie filmmakers, John Updike called; he wants his shtick back.